What is really old?

Coat: J.Crew (sale)

Sweater: J.Crew Factory (old) (similar in great colors) (also here and here)

Shirt: J.Crew (similar here, here – take 25% off just today 3/26 w/code GAPGIFT here and here)

Skirt: J.Crew (similar here, herehere, here)

Shoes: old (similar here, here, here and here)

Bag: Coach (in Medium size) (great options under $100 here and here)

Necklace: F21 (old) (cute option

Watch: Fossil

I’ve been trying to figure out what is considered “old” when it comes to clothing, since many of you want to know when I got a certain piece (if it’s still available I’ll create a direct link to it).

Anything I got a year ago, or so, I personally don’t consider old, but when it comes to sharing it on the blog, I think it is “old” if it was purchased more than a year ago. Mainly “old” since chances of getting the exact thing are extremely slim.

So, when it comes to clothing, what do you consider old?

xo

1. Isolde
    March 26, 2013 / 6:49 pm

Tough one! For blogging, I'd do the same. If I can't show people where to buy it now, I'll say it's old, but I still have clothes I wear that are almost 20 years old! Ugh, that makes me sound like I have horrible taste, lol!

2. Christina Heflin
    March 26, 2013 / 6:58 pm

I know what you mean, I hate when something is old and I can't post a link to it, I always try to find similar things if I can. I love your skirt btw, the color is gorgeous! http://simpleeasystyle.blogspot.com/

March 26, 2013 / 7:07 pm

It is only old if it looks old! If its ratty, or hasn't washed well, or is worn out. Otherwise, I like wearing fav pieces that I have had for years and mixing it with newer ones. Who can afford to keep buying all new stuff anyways?! Katie

March 26, 2013 / 7:18 pm

i say anything over 2 years is old. but then again i'm only 23 so i think the oldest thing i have in my closet is about 5-6 years old.

March 26, 2013 / 7:21 pm

I just posted on this today! How ironic! I rocked some jeans and a top that are literally 5-7 years old… they've held up over the years, but it's time to part ways, I think! I usually consider things old if they're from a year ago as well, but if they don't look too worn, I will keep them for a while! (Maybe that's a problem?! haha!)Thanks for sharing, love this look! -Rachwww.LaMariposaBlog.com

6. Darcy
    March 26, 2013 / 7:35 pm

I consider things old if they are over a year old. We all know we're constantly buying new clothes. I love finding old items in my closet, or rewearing them with my new pieces! I think that in the blogging world, though, it makes you think items are older faster because by documenting each outfit you really see how often you wear something!www.corporategirlstyle.blogspot.com

7. Arielle
    March 26, 2013 / 7:41 pm

I would say if it is no longer available, it's probably "old" in the blogging world. Usually, because people are wanting to buy something similar.

8. Siena in Style
    March 26, 2013 / 7:58 pm

very beautiful outfit! I love the green skirt! so chic!kisses from Milano

9. Jenn D
    March 26, 2013 / 8:13 pm

I love that jacket!I list anything as "old" if it's no longer in stores or I can't find a link to it.JennWith Luck Blog

10. andrea
    March 26, 2013 / 8:17 pm

I list anything as "old" that is more than a few seasons old…love the skirt btw! :)xoxo,Andreawww.andreaeveryday.com

11. Four Seasons Style
    March 26, 2013 / 8:38 pm

Great question! Hmmmm…I usually list anything that is a couple of seasons ago as "old" because I know that it is not available any longer for my readers. I have plenty of "old" clothes though that really are truly that, but I still wear them because they are in good condition and I like them. Some pieces I have literally had since high school. Maybe not old for some, but for me that makes them more like "vintage" by definition I think – LOL!XOJessy http://www.FourSeasonsStyle.blogspot.com

12. Jamee
    March 26, 2013 / 9:38 pm

I think that's a smart move when it comes to blogging. And you're always so helpful with looking up similar styles (thank you!). 🙂 As for today's outfit – love the color combo. You're always making me think "outside the box."

13. Kristina
    March 26, 2013 / 10:03 pm

I always think now if something isn't still available in stores it should be considered "old" for my blog. But when do I consider clothes to be old? Probably 2-3 years.KristinaKristina does the Internets

14. Nina Piccini
    March 26, 2013 / 10:51 pm

For blogging I'd consider something over 3-4 Mo ago bought to be old. In real life? Probably a few years would be old.. it's hard, stores turn over their merch so often that somethng bought one day could be "old" or no longer available the next!xo, Ninaafterthe40barfinish.blogspot.com

15. Schnelle
    March 26, 2013 / 11:17 pm

I'd say a year for the purpose of blogging but in real life I don't consider something old until its at least 2 maybe 3 years old. I love that coat btw!

16. Adrienne Scott-Trask
    March 26, 2013 / 11:23 pm

Anything over a year is old…not because it's really "old" but because it's probably no longer available for purchase! -Adrienne. xohttp://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com/http://sending-postcards-home.blogspot.com/

17. Kacie Ellis
    March 27, 2013 / 1:05 am

The color of your skirt is so pretty!www.kacieskloset.blogspot.comwww.daisyraeboutique.com

18. Angela
    March 27, 2013 / 1:28 am

I consider it old if I got it more than 2 years. I do have a couple things that I have held onto for 5+ years. Now that stuff is really old! jkMethod Clothe

19. A J
    March 27, 2013 / 2:35 am

I guess I would consider it "old" if I've had it for over 2 years? If I can still find a link to it that's similar, I don't usually label it old. I have that same green skirt but haven't worn it with gingham yet…outfit idea! Thanks girly!-AJFitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

20. Jamey and Jack's Mommy
    March 27, 2013 / 2:43 am

I believe someone made ebay for a reason….takes some patience but you can find almost anything, IF you really wanted it. Some of my favorite pieces are "old."

21. Happiness at Mid Life
    March 27, 2013 / 6:18 am

If it holds up from years of wear – than it's not old. I think an item is old if it's faded or looks ratty. Love that coat – the color is so vibrant!Alicewww.happinessatmidlife.com

March 27, 2013 / 1:09 pm

Hmm, that is a good question. Not sure, but I think I do the same thing as you…if I can't provide a link to where I purchased it, it gets labeled old for blogging purposes. Unless it is new but sold out, then I specify that.BTW, that coach bag is my latest obsession and will be my next big purchase. Funny, I went to look at it the day before you posted it for the first time. Great minds think alike.XO, Ginahttp://classyeverafter.blogspot.com

23. Joyce
    March 27, 2013 / 1:34 pm

I always love your outfits!! I try to recreate them in my closet with what I have but sometimes you just have these beautiful choice pieces that I MUST have!! Haha is this gingham shirt that you're wearing a navy blue or like a bright azalea type? I need more basics in my wardrobe =) thanks!

March 27, 2013 / 2:02 pm

You're so sweet, thank you :)The gingham shirt is actually black, which is hard to tell on the pictures 🙂

24. Stephanie Reekers
    March 27, 2013 / 2:38 pm

I love that gingham top, I wear mine with everything! It is hard to know what to wear on my blog too, just because you want people to be able to buy it, but sometimes the oldies are the goodies!www.threesixtyfiveblog.com

25. Agnes Mayer
    March 27, 2013 / 3:39 pm

Love your outfit. I totally agree with you, but i find that honestly most things come around again in a year many times and people can buy different versions of it and make it their own. Don't forget about my link up tomorrow. HOpe you can join me.Agi:)vodkainfusedlemonade.com

26. Chelsea
    March 27, 2013 / 5:02 pm

I would consider an item "old" in the blogging world if it can no longer be purchased, however, items in my closet are never old. They're just vintage!xoxo,Chelsea & The City