I love tea cookies (aka Butterballs, Russian Tea Cakes, Snowball cookies etc).
The other day we got a some Russian Tea cookie at WholeFoods and they were so hard. I was disappointed.
So I decide to make my own.
With cold weather here I’m slightly more motivated to bake.
I made a small batch of Snowball cookies on Sunday evening and they didn’t last long. So I made full batch this morning again. They’re very easy to make and are quite delicious.
Anything that’s easy to make and it’s delicious at the same time it’s my kinda recipe 😉
Snowball Cookies Recipe:
- 3/4 cup nuts (my favorites are almonds or walnuts)
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature (I cut mine)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Powdered sugar for rolling
- Heat the oven to 375 F
- Grind the nuts and put in a separate bowl once done
- Mix the butter, almond extract and powdered sugar
- Add the flour, salt and almonds and mix everything until the dough holds
- Shape the dough into small (about 1-inch) balls and place about 1 inch apart on an lined baking sheet
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes until the cookies are set but not brown. The underside of the cookies will be just lightly browned.
- Remove and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the warm cookies in sifted powdered sugar.