I love tea cookies (aka Butterballs, Russian Tea Cakes, Snowball cookies etc).
The other day we got a some Russian Tea cookie at WholeFoods and they were so hard. I was disappointed.
So I decide to make my own.
With cold weather here I’m slightly more motivated to bake.
I made a small batch of Snowball cookies on Sunday evening and they didn’t last long. So I made full batch this morning again. They’re very easy to make and are quite delicious.
Anything that’s easy to make and delicious at the same time it’s my kinda recipe 😉
I grind the nuts in
Snowball Cookies Recipe:
- 3/4 cup nuts (my favorites are almonds or walnuts)
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature (I cut mine)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Powdered sugar for rolling
- Heat the oven to 375 F
- Grind the nuts and put in a separate bowl once done
- Mix the butter, almond extract and powdered sugar
- Add the flour, salt and almonds and mix everything until the dough holds
- Shape the dough into small (about 1-inch) balls and place about 1 inch apart on an lined baking sheet
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes until the cookies are set but not brown. The underside of the cookies will be just lightly browned.
- Remove and cool for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the warm cookies in sifted powdered sugar.